As a lolita I feel there is a lot to love about Spring. The mild weather is perfect for layers without needing much extra, and the blooming flowers add that extra soft pinch of delicacy to photos. This is one of the perfect times of the year to explore with your community. Here are some of my favorite ideas for enjoying the season.
- Build birdhouses. Put them outside to welcome new feathered friends into their own small cottage.
- Catch fireflies. See how many you can capture in a jar before setting them free.
- View the cherry blossoms. Take part in a local Hanami or host your own.
- Pick wild flowers. String daisy chains, blow wishes through dandelions, or hunt for four leaf clovers.
- Watercolor a scenic area. Purchase portable watercolor sets and paint a favorite local spot.
- Host a lazy picnic. Lay down and look at the clouds, or perhaps the stars.
- Go strawberry picking. Then find delectable recipes to turn them into jams, cakes, or pastries!
- Run a wildlife scavenger hunt. Create a list of flora and fauna to take pictures of for a prize.
- Visit an amusement park. Enjoy the milder temperatures while beating the Summer crowd.
- Race boats down a creek. Create paper boats and watch them drift downstream to the finish line.
- Host an outdoor tea party. Invite friends over and show off your new tea set or budding garden.
- Decorate flower pots. Then use them to plant bee-friendly flowers, herbs, or aromatic delights.
- Volunteer at a senior center. Seeing so many frills will brighten their day!
- Visit public gardens. Find out beforehand if it’s alright to have a photoshoot there.
- Try birdwatching. Get out your binoculars and discover your local species.
- Rent row boats. Find a quiet lake and take turns meandering your boat through the water.
- Throw a nature themed masquerade. Decorate masks with large feathers and fake flowers.
- Read aloud in a park. Prepare your favorite poetry, passage, or fairytale to share- or just listen in!
- Play mini golf. Engage in some friendly competition or up the stakes with a 1st place prize.
- Have an outdoor movie night. Rent a projector and watch movies over the sounds of crickets.
- Stop by the zoo. You might even see a few baby animals as they are typically born in Spring!
- Visit a historical site. Take a tour of a castle or Victorian mansion. Some will even have tea service.
- Float in a hot air balloon. View your city from a very different perspective.
- Watch a play in the park. Local theaters will sometimes have productions outdoors.
- Fly kites. Pick a windy location and soar kites in the sky.
Big thank you to our rabbit Mochi for striking such a handsome pose for me. My Spring has been spent in Seattle where I’ve had the chance to enjoy the April showers I’d otherwise be missing out on in California. On my favorite occasion, I was walking back to our rental under an umbrella through the frames of foliage that dot the neighborhood and had the pleasant thrill of hearing thunder for the first time in ages. I can’t tell which I liked more: the walk or the hot shower afterward with the window open breathing in its melody.
What is your favorite part about Spring? Do you have a great idea for a meetup that you’d love to share? I’d love to hear it in the comments. Have a sugar-sweet day and thanks for reading!